Burnout can negatively impact our physical and mental health so it is important to be educated on the signs and symptoms as well as the strategies we can use to avoid burnout.
As business and technology have continued to evolve, the relationships between people and their work have also changed. Not all of these changes are for the better, as more and more people are overworking themselves to the point of not being able to avoid burnout.
In today’s episode, I share some facts about burnout so you can have a better understanding of what it is. I explain what causes burnout and the long-term effects it can have on the brain and body, and I discuss strategies that can be used to prevent or cope with it. I also explain the difference between stress and burnout and some of the mental and physical symptoms to watch for.
This Week on The Power to Live More Podcast:
- The definition of burnout
- How an American psychologist coined the term
- The difference between burnout and stress
- How chronic stress can lead to burnout
- How chronic stress can damage your immune system
- The difference between good and bad types of stress
- Why short-term stress can be beneficial
- The long-term effects of burnout
- The importance of monitoring your environment and relationships so you can avoid burnout
- How burnout affects the brain and the impact it has on dealing with future stress
- The physical and mental symptoms of burnout to look for and when to see a doctor
- What causes burnout
- Strategies to avoid burnout or cope with the symptoms
9 Strategies to Avoid or Cope with Burnout:
- Physical movement
- Eat well
- Stay hydrated
- Limit exposure to triggers
- Socialise for support
- Practice stress relief techniques
- Schedule and organise but stay flexible
- Get some sun every day
Download and use this handy Stress Checklist to identify your triggers for stress and ways to reduce their effects on you.
Connect, Share, Inspire
Thank you for joining me for this week’s episode of the POWER to Live More Podcast! If you enjoyed this episode and would like to help support the show, please head over to iTunes or Stitcher, subscribe to the show and leave your honest review! You can also help me reach even more amazing business owners and leaders by sharing your favourite episodes on your social media channels.
Show notes provided (brilliantly, my words not theirs!) by Lidwell Writing Services, LLC