Paul and Emily Hughes have both made the leap from public sector teaching into entrepreneurship and now run the Parent Guide to GCSE, a website where they support parents whose children are in Year 11 and are preparing to take their first set of important exams.
They met in 2003 as trainee teachers assigned to the same school after completing their Master’s studies in Information Management and Computing, and Maths and Education, respectively.
They enjoy working from separate rooms at home and relish the freedom that their business has given them. Emily also runs a Pop Choir in her spare time and loves the opportunity that it gives her to connect with other like-minded people.
Paul and Emily join me today to discuss their membership website for parents who want to help their children prepare successfully for their GCSE exams and how they were inspired by a parent chat on WhatsApp to start their business.
Emily discusses her love of reading and researching and how she used this ‘superpower’ to plan the website that shares their professional knowledge with parents who are struggling to understand how to help their children get exam-ready in a way that also supports their mental health.
Paul and Emily also dive into how they manage their days now that they are working on their own business and no longer have the day timetabled by the school bell, and why they make time for prioritising their family with regular ‘Fri-dates.’
“A lot of the stress of exams is caused by not feeling in control.”Emily Hughes
This Week on The Power to Live More Podcast:
- Why Paul and Emily began to feel that teaching was no longer a long-term option for them
- Other business ventures that paved the way for The Parent Guide to GCSE website
- The similarities and differences between education and entrepreneurship
- How Paul and Emily plan and organise their tasks to work together successfully
- How they brainstorm the future of their business and the areas in which they plan to expand their concept
- Hints and tips on how to talk about exams and revision with your teenage children
- Why it’s vital to support mental health and promote wellness strategies
- The importance of prioritising
- Why they outsource some of their business tasks to a VA
- How they deal with situations that don’t go their way and challenging days
- What their day looks like when they’re ‘living more,’ and how they prioritise family-time
- Oversubscribed: How to Get People Lining Up to Do Business with You by Daniel Priestley
- Copywriting for Creatives Course
- Free to Focus by Michael Hyatt
- The 1% Club with John Lamerton
- Big Ideas for Small Businesses by John Lamerton
- My World Domination Plans by John Lamerton
Connect with Paul and Emily Hughes:
- The Parent Guide to GCSEs
- The Parent’s Guide to GCSEs on Facebook
- The Parent’s Guide to GCSEs on Twitter
- Emily Hughes on LinkedIn
- Paul Hughes on LinkedIn
Join the POWER to Live More CALM Membership
Attention home-based coaches and consultants!
Are you tired of feeling alone, isolated, and frustrated with running your home-based coaching or consulting business? Are you sick of feeling like your life would be better, and you’d be happier if you felt more organised and productive? Do you feel like there’s simply not enough time in a day to get all the things done that you need to do to build a successful business while making time to live more?
It’s time to stop the isolation and start getting more organised, productive, and focused on the tasks that will move the needle forward.
It’s time to join the POWER to Live More CALM membership!
If you’re ready to:
- Stop recreating the wheel and focus on the things that truly matter in your life and business
- Learn what you need to know to be successful and ‘live more’
- Get accountability help from a group of like-minded home-based business owners
Then you need to join the POWER to Live More CALM membership programme!
To learn more about the POWER to Live More CALM membership programme and apply, visit PowerToLiveMore.com/GetCalm
Connect, Share, Inspire
Thank you for joining me for this week’s episode of the POWER to Live More Podcast! If you enjoyed this episode and would like to help support the show, please head over to Apple Podcasts or Stitcher, subscribe to the show and leave your honest review! You can also help me reach even more amazing business owners and leaders by sharing your favorite episodes on your social media channels.
Show notes provided (brilliantly, my words not theirs!) by Lidwell Writing Services, LLC