Ben Smith was on active duty in the Army when he realised that he wanted to lead and inspire a different type of fighter: the sports heroes of the future.
Armed with everything he learned from the military, the real estate flipping industry, and his own experience as a skilled rugby player, he established The Captains Coach, a coaching business tailored for top athletes across the country.
Nowadays, he works one-on-one with high school and college athletes to improve their leadership skills, while building a new technology platform that will expand The Captains Coach’s reach.
Ben joins me today to discuss why it’s important to teach new and rising athletes how to be leaders. He shares his experiences as an athlete himself, the things he wishes he had learned during his time on the field, and some excellent leadership-building practices that every coach can incorporate into their training sessions and meetings.
He explains his approach to learning and teaching and shares the six tenets of leadership for sports leaders. He also discusses the technology platform he is developing in order to further strengthen The Captains Coach’s operations.
“It’s the team captain that’s the driving force behind the team—not necessarily the coach, the strategies, the tactics, or the resources.”Ben Smith
This Week on The Power to Live More Podcast:
- How Ben went from being on active Army duty to guiding the next generation of sports leaders.
- What many coaches fail to do for young athletes.
- Why Ben does what he does.
- His early sports career — and what he wishes he had received early on.
- The sometimes-inaccurate portrayal of leadership in various media.
- Some great practices that young sports teams can adopt in decision-making.
- The importance of developing great sports captains early on in their careers.
- How much Ben’s life has changed from his military days.
- How he plans his day.
- His process for learning and improving, and the “teach to learn” idea.
- The significant impact of mentoring on his life and business.
- Why he keeps a journal, and the importance of reading and creating as hand-in-hand processes.
- How Ben helps athletes develop their own learning and leadership styles.
- The six tenets of leadership for athletes, and the three tiers that Captains Coach follows for one-on-one discussions.
- The technology platform Ben is developing to bring these lessons to more athletes.
- Why anyone and everyone can be a leader.
- How he handles ‘bad days’.
- What a day of ‘living more’ means and looks like for Ben.
Connect with Ben Smith:
Connect, Share, Inspire
Thank you for joining me for this week’s episode of the POWER to Live More Podcast! If you enjoyed this episode and would like to help support the show, please head over to iTunes or Stitcher, subscribe to the show and leave your honest review! You can also help me reach even more amazing business owners and leaders by sharing your favourite episodes on your social media channels.
Show notes provided (brilliantly, my words not theirs!) by Lidwell Writing Services, LLC